Our Church Mission Statement

  The mission of St. Stephen United Methodist Church is to bring souls to Christ; to  

  encourage and provide Christian teachings to both young and old, foster Christian

  fellowship, cultivate spiritual attributes, and support community concerns and

  services.

History At a Glance
  • 1869:  St. Stephen Methodist Episcopal Church in Orangeburg, South Carolina was organized.
  • 1879: A small building was erected which was barely large enough to hold the members. It was made of wood and had no amenities such as bathrooms or carpet, but only sand floors. 
  • 1881: Four acres of land were purchased by the church and a small schoolhouse was built on the property which served the children in the Bull Swamp road area.  It remained standing until the present church was being built.  It was used as a playhouse for the 1950's generation while they attend church on Sunday.
  • 1885: The first real church was erected.  It was a wooden edifice with large windows and a high steeple.  It was built without an indoor bathroom and floors without carpet.  There was an outhouse in the back that could be reached by following a path behind the church. 
  • 1951: An acre of land adjacent to the church was purchased under the leadership of Rev. Fulton Edwards.
  • 1976:  A new modern brick edifice was built under the leadership of Rev. W. A. Smith and entered on May 9.
  • 1985: The mortgage on the church property was paid in full under the leadership of Rev. Lorenzo Moses.
  • 2011: On September 14, St. Stephen United Methodist Church purchased the land across the road from the church under the leadership of Rev. Frank James.
 

Pastors of Our Church 

St. Stephen United Methodist Church​ 

1876 - 1878: Reverend Lemuel Arthur

1878 - 1883: Reverend R. F. Blakely 

1883 - 1887: Reverend W. McWillie

1887 - 1891: Reverend W. J. Smith 

1891 - 1895: Reverend A. G. Kennedy 

1895 - 1896: Reverend F. D. Smith  

1896 - 1897: Reverend J. W. Moultrie 

1897 - 1899: Reverend J. B. Taylor 

1899 - 1902: Reverend J. W. Moultrie 

1902 - 1904: Reverend T. H. Clark

1904 - 1905: Reverend C. H. Dangerfield 

1905 - 1907: Reverend J. L. Rice 

1907 - 1908: Reverend A. G. Townsend 

1908 - 1912: Reverend W. M. R. Eaddy 

1912 - 1913; Reverend J. L. Henderson 

1913 - 1915: Reverend A. E. Quick 

1915 - 1916: Reverend J. S. Thomas 

1916 - 1917: Reverend C. H. Harleston 

1917 - 1918: Reverend B. J. Jackson 

1918 - 1920: Reverend A. R. Smith

1920 - 1921: Reverend B. J. Jackson 

1921 - 1922: Reverend C. C. Clark 

1922 - 1924: Reverend T. G. Robinson

1924 - 1926: Reverend S. J. Cooper

1926 - 1930: Reverend L. A. Thomas

1930 - 1937: Reverend I. C.  Wiley 

1937 - 1939: Reverend Freeman Marcus

1939 - 1941: Reverend T. J. Robinson

1941 - 1942: Reverend J. E. C. Jenkins

1942 - 1945: Reverend Wade Waymer

1945 - 1950: Reverend W. N. Fridie

1950 - 1952: Reverend Fulton Edwards

1952 - 1954: Reverend L. C. Gregg

1954 - 1957: Reverend K. D. Huff

1957 - 1962: Reverend R. G. Lawrence

1962 - 1964: Reverend John Devore

1964 - 1965: Reverend L. W. Curry

1965 - 1969: Reverend J. R. Norwood

1969 - 1972: Reverend R. S. Davis

1972 - 1978: Reverend W. A. Smith

1978 - 1980: Reverend Luonne Rouse

1980 - 1983: Reverend Ellis Hue Jones

1983 - 1988: Reverend Lorenzo Moses 

1988 - 1990: Reverend Jacob Sanders

1990 - 1993: Reverend George Walker

1993 - 2002: Reverend Joseph Abram

2002 - 2010: Reverend Kay Adams Best

2010 - Present: Reverend Frank James